Thursday, November 11, 2010

I guess that's just what old married couples do...

Isn't it funny how when we were growing up, we would say "I will never," or "I will not," or "I don't want..."
You know what I mean... like, "I will never have a desk job!" or "I will not be a home body" or even "I don't want to have to pay bills!" I'm pretty sure I've said all of those things... but I guess that's just what grown ups do!

We can't all be rock stars... and when I get home from work during the week, the last thing I want to do is leave! ... and if I don't pay the bills, I won't have power... or water... or heat! This is not the dream that I was hoping for when I was younger, but I'm settling into it.

If you haven't noticed that your desires change as you get older, you might want to check your brain. When I was younger, all I wanted to wear were pink sparkly ballgowns and tiaras, while waving my magical wand around, granting every wish that came to mind. I guess that's just what kids do! Not a care in the world and using our imagination to dream up the most impossible things! Now... while I still think that would be super cool... I doubt that anyone would consider me sane if I were to go walking around like that now. Don't you agree?

Moving on.

When I was younger, I imagined marriage to be the most magical thing of all. I considered it to be wildly romantic, expecting my husband to cater to my every whim. I just knew that monetary things wouldn't matter because we would be rich anyway and we could go on vacations to anywhere, whenever we wanted. As long as we were together, nothing else would matter, right?

So now I'm married. I have to plan my vacations around my work schedule... and even then, we can't really afford to go anywhere spectacular! Our evenings usually consist of fast food meals and pre-recorded television shows. Our big night out has become Outback Steakhouse one night a week, and that is a stretch in the budget too!

Yet I still consider myself to be the luckiest girl I know. While my husband is far from being "wildly romantic," I know that he loves me more than anything. He takes care of me when I don't feel very good, and he's always looking out for my best interest. He tries to give me everything that my little heart desires, and he makes it a point to show me that he loves me at least once a day. He kisses me before he tells me goodnight, and he even takes Chloe out in the wee hours of the morning to go potty so that she doesn't wake me.
We look forward to our Wednesday date nights and our most favorite thing is to have a glass of wine and snuggle together on the couch. He helps with the dishes and he even takes out the trash!

Now I know this scenario is much different from the one that I imagined, but it seems to suit me just fine. I'm happier than I could have ever imagined.

So we might just so happen to be two people that have to work, pay bills, and thoroughly enjoy staying at home... but I guess that's just what old married couples do.

No comments:

Post a Comment