Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Warning... I'm a bit emotional!

In the midst of all my morning rituals, business, etc... this particular morning, I happened across a very disturbing email that was sent to me. See, I had been planning this big Thanksgiving feast for my team at work an we were scheduled to do that today so I had a lot of loose ends that needed tying before 12:00 pm. I was trying to make sure that the ham was picked up on time and that everyone had brought their covered dish, and that we had enough plates, napkins, and silverware for everyone... so when I sat down and read this email, it completely stopped everything for me... right in it's track. 

One of the employees that I have had the pleasure of knowing in my time with Paetec, passed away Sunday night in a plane crash. He was heading to Nebraska for a hunting trip and the plane went down. I'm not exactly sure of what caused the crash but I know as I read that email, right there in that instant, I was completely devastated. I'm not going to say that I knew him well or even that we were "close" as some tend to say about people that have passed, but I did know him well enough to know that he had a family he loved that he would be leaving behind, and that no one should have to endure an end such as that. I really hope that he was a Christian.

Death is a funny thing, you know. You don't really ever know when it is coming, and when it does, everything changes. I can't stop thinking about this poor man's family so close to the holidays.. and as I started my morning flustering around trying to get things done for our Thanksgiving meal, I never once stopped to think of how thankful I was to be with the people around me... at least not until I read that email. As a daughter, and now a wife, it absolutely kills me to think of what his loved ones are going through at the moment. Every time that it comes to mind, my eyes just well up and my heart aches... and if you know me, you should KNOW that I'm not a crier. 

With all of this in mind, I will say that the thing I am most thankful for this year is my family. I want to let them know how much I love them and appreciate them. I want to be thankful for the time that I have to spend with them and I want to make the most of it. This year I'm not going to let myself get caught up in the planning and labor of the holidays, but I'm going to stop and take time to appreciate the people that I'm with and time that I'm able to spend with them. 

I hope that you will do the same. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 


No comments:

Post a Comment